⚡️ What is Patriotism about ?
This manifesto, written by Alain de Benoist and Charles Champetier, serves as a noteworthy introduction to the principles and ideology of GRECE, the leading New Right organization in France. Published in 1999 on the eve of GRECE’s 30th anniversary, it represents the organization’s sole effort thus far to summarize its core beliefs and fundamental concepts. Within its pages, de Benoist and Champetier fervently advocate for the preservation of cultural diversity and the right of indigenous peoples to emancipate themselves from an all-encompassing cultural homogeneity. Moreover, they envision a renewed Europe that rediscovers sustenance in its unique values and ancestral traditions, contrasting sharply with the contemporary domination of multiculturalism and the global marketplace. Alain de Benoist, revered as the primary philosopher of the European “New Right” movement, is renowned for his erudition on law, philosophy, and religion, and has authored numerous influential books including The Problem of Democracy and Beyond Human Rights. His co-author, Charles Champetier, previously served as the editor of Éléments, a periodical closely affiliated with GRECE. Though their thoughts may diverge, their dedication to expounding upon the notions at hand unwaveringly remains.
📖 Who should read Patriotism?
People who should read this book are individuals interested in political philosophy, cultural diversity, and the preservation of European values and traditions. The book offers an insightful analysis of the principles and key concepts of the New Right movement, specifically GRECE in France. It argues in favor of respecting cultural differences and peoples’ rights to defend their own cultures against homogenization. It also proposes a vision of a regenerated Europe based on authentic values rather than multiculturalism and globalization. This book is particularly relevant for those seeking alternative perspectives on democracy, human rights, and the future of Europe.
💡 What will you learn in Patriotism ?
1) The importance of cultural diversity: This book argues in favor of the right to difference among cultures and civilizations. It emphasizes the value of allowing different cultures to exist and flourish, rather than promoting cultural homogenization.
2) The need to defend cultural identity: The book also highlights the right of peoples to defend themselves from cultural homogenization. It emphasizes the importance of preserving and protecting one’s cultural identity from outside influences and pressures.
3) Rediscovering authentic values and traditions: The book presents a vision of a regenerated Europe that finds strength in returning to its authentic values and traditions. It encourages a reconnection with cultural roots and a departure from the influence of multiculturalism.
4) Critique of multiculturalism: The book criticizes multiculturalism and the idea of a global marketplace. It argues against the new imperialism of multiculturalism and suggests that it hampers cultural preservation.
5) Philosophy of the European “New Right” movement: The author, Alain de Benoist, is a prominent philosopher of the European “New Right” movement. Through this book, readers can gain an understanding of the principles and key concepts of this movement.
6) Historical context and evolution of the New Right movement in France: This manifesto was written by GRECE, the primary New Right organization in France, on the occasion of its 30th anniversary. By reading this book, readers can gain insights into the history and development of the New Right in France.